Thread: Flu Shots
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2014, 01:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg View Post
Flu shots have their merits, they can protect you against the virus, I dont dispute this. They do have negative consequences as well. Others on this discussion have mentioned Guillain–Barré syndrome, there is also evidence that they can cause narcolepsy. I think that the risk of these consequences outweighs the chance that i might come down with the flu.
This link between Narcolepsy and the vaccine used in Europe in 2009 has been researched and is understood much better now than was originally reported. Subsequent investigation showed a higher incidence of unvaccinated children developing Narcolepsy after H1N1 exposure in China and other parts of Europe. Additional research has shown that the cause is an immune response that mistakenly targets part of the brain because of similar protein structures to the virus.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/...l#.UtBVqGRDvt2

http://www.ctvnews.ca/w5/sleeping-si...epsy-1.1524420

GBS is also thought to be triggered by your immune system. If you are at risk to develop it it's far more likely it will be triggered by the infection rather than the vaccine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg View Post
Until that time I just ask that people stay the hell out of my life and not make me out to be some kind of idiot for making an informed decision or brand me as a tin foil hat wearing conspiracy theorist.
Thank you
You are not making an informed decision and you are being selfish. I don't say this lightly either. Narcolepsy is prevalent in my family and I deal with the mess it makes every day. It's also very possible I or my children may develop this at some point in our lives. The best protection for me and my family is to have the people around us not spreading the virus that could trigger this and the best way for that to happen is immunization. There is a minuscule chance you might develop a complication from a vaccine but your decision could have a huge impact on someone else.