View Single Post
Old 04-26-2014, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnfoo View Post
And so the never ending debate continues. It is true that crap rods are crap but do you need to drop $600-$800 on a rod and reel to effectively catch walleye? If you are an avid angler you will want to have several rods for different techniques (jigging, rigging, bottom bouncing, cranks and spinners, slip bobbing). I usually fish with 4 to 6 pre rigged rods. If you are only going to buy high end gear that is a significant investment with little in the way of return when compared to the mid-range stuff. If the cost isn't a factor and you only want the best.... go for it. I like getting value for the dollar because I feel foolish if I overspend and I like taking those funds and spending them where I get more from it (maybe a better sonar or trolling motor).

If the bite it is really tough I usually just change tactics and it almost always works. If the don't like the jig maybe they want a Lindy rig. I think it is more about figureing out where they are and what they want to eat and not so much having the absolutely most sensitve gear to detect the light bites.

I think everyone has already made up their minds on this issue. So what ever you use.....enjoy!
Graphite rods, even lower end models enjoy pretty awesome sensitivity. That $400.00 dollar rod will not offer much more "noticeable" sensitivity over an $80.00 - $150.00 rod.
I have picked up a $60.00 rod off the shelf and have been impressed with the sensitivity, had I bought that rod it would have fared well against a rod 4 or 5 times that price.

That said, if you have the money for a $300.00 - $500.00 dollar G Loomis then why not. They are excellent rods.

Most of my jigging/rigging rods are in the 60-150.00 range.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.