View Single Post
Old 07-30-2014, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck Country View Post
I don't think turning ever deer in the province into a "meat buck" is the solution either. There needs to be a balance between trophy quality and access by all. Isn't pushing trophy hunters out of the province a form of "elitism" as well saying meat hunters are more important than trophy hunters?

I personally won't shoot something I know is small and prefer to go home empty handed or with a doe than to kill the first thing with antlers. The old don't make the winter the younger bucks do. Just getting out is good enough for me I don't need to make a kill every time or ever year.

We should be relying on science to dictate the appropriate numbers and age structure to maximize the resource. JMO
"I don't think turning ever deer in the province into a "meat buck" is the solution either."

I never advocated that we do, and I am against this concept anyways, not for "trophy" reasons but for the social structure requirements for these herds. There needs to be a full age range of animals in the population.

"We should be relying on science to dictate the appropriate numbers and age structure to maximize the resource. "

That's exactly what I suggested. Let's stop putting more wmus on highly restrictive harvest levels of 5% and less due to the lobbying of Outfitters and Trophy hunters within certain AGMAG members, and get back to the proven 10% levels that offer higher harvest levels while maintaining a full age structure to the herd.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."

Last edited by walking buffalo; 07-30-2014 at 10:02 AM.