View Single Post
Old 08-04-2014, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Curl Earl View Post
You just keep talking the same old circle. Your right, a lawless no rules fish and game system is exactly what we all need. No more .22 cal or 40 lb rules, because we're all proficient.
I'm not saying you shouldn't be allowed to hunt with it, but It must be scientifically proven, and YouTube does not qualify. Until that happens I will back those supporting only clean harvest equipment. Just like you, I get to decide who I cheer for. And if your confused about wheather or not this is an appropriate place for me to voice this, go back and read the title of this thread.
Out for now !
Ok, I don't know what kind of scientific data you require, but here is some scientific data.

Easton’s recommendations for KE.

KE

Hunting Usage

< 25 ft. lbs.

Small Game

25-41 ft. lbs.

Medium Game (deer, antelope, etc.)

42-65 ft. lbs.

Large Game (elk, black bear, wild boar, etc.)

> 65 ft. lbs.

Toughest Game (Cape Buffalo, Grizzly, etc.)

Now by no means am I a scientist or have a master in physics but I will do my best to prove my point.
I know my spear weight is 3lb. 9.6oz. So just to make things simple let say 3.5lb. which is actually less weight. 1 pound is 7000 grains. So I have 24500 grains. This number can be entered into any online archery calculator. So now to figure out how fast the spear is going to be travelling at point of impact. I am going to be hunting from a tree at about 20-25 feet. So if I enter the height and weight here http://www.angio.net/personal/climb/speed I get 10.85m/s which is roughly 34f/s. So I enter the numbers here http://archerycalculator.com/archery...um-calculator/ and get 62 KE.

Now keep in mind that this is if I just drop the spear from the tree, I get enough energy to to harvest large game according to Easton. I have also been very conservative with my numbers and I already have enough energy and I haven't even thrown it yet. Basically what I am saying is that a 2 year old could drop this spear from a tree at 20ft and the spear would have enough energy to harvest large game according to Easton.

So what is clean harvesting equipment? If I had a bow with a draw weight of 40lb. I would be harded pressed to get 62KE which is a legal method which I assume has been scientifically proven? My spear head is bigger than the minimum broadhead required by law. What makes one better than the other?

Fact is it comes down to the user and their effective range of the weapon which applies to every method of hunting. How do we regulate a user and the weapon range? In my opinion we can't, it would cost a fortune and everybody would have to be tested with there method of harvesting. Not all people can shoot rifles out passed 400 yards. Should this be regulated? I don't think so. I could list hundreds of examples. For example, My comfort zone with a spear is about 10' from the base of the tree. My comfort zone with my bow is about 30 yards. My comfort zone with a rifle off hand is 100 yards. Give me a good rest I'm comfortable out to 400 yards.

This is my personal opinion but someone who takes the time to make a spear is going to have the better ethics than the first time hunter who just got his first magnum calibur rifle going road hunting with his friends. This is a bigger issue than worrying if a spear hunter goes out of there comfort zone and wounds an animal.

If Spears and Atlatls need to be regulated they can follow the same requirements for archery. They are all cutting weapons and if the head is big enough and it has enough KE it should be legal. They all will humanly kill with a well placed shot.