View Single Post
Old 10-07-2014, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
Try Canadian tire they usually have them however this time of year they can be hard to find.
Back in the day we used to build these birch bark moose calls, and other wood crafts out of birch...I use birch extensively in my Wilderness Survival courses...it can/provides first aid, fire, shelter, water, food, has a place in all seven steps of Wilderness survival...

Problem is birch is now few and far in between in a lot of areas, and done wrong in the hands of a novice the removal of birch bark from a large tree can KILL the tree..a precious resourse in many areas..

.However done right the outer bark can be removed for crafts and moose calls without harming the tree...the outer bark layers can be removed but leaving inner layers to protect the tree...

As mentioned above dead birch trees can be used to make simple moose calls...steam from a electric kettle can shape bark nicely from a dead tree...which you will see lots of in most birch stands unfourtunately...

If you are to attempt any of this I highly suggest reading this excellent piece on birch...

http://nrd.kbic-nsn.gov/PDF/Gatherin...dBirchBark.pdf

Neil