View Single Post
Old 10-16-2014, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
The biggest fault of the Argo was that it was a "skid - steer" system, where power was cut off one side and forced to the other, like a truck differential.

Bill Mackay of Edmonton was one of the original dealers, out of Alberta ATV.

Bill had a prototype unit that had a german built transmission that used clutches, much like the Prairie Bobcat. In other words, no tearing the one side apart with braking to get power to the other side. Variable power to each side meant smooth turns.

Bill built a unit called the "Trail Boss" which was hydraulic drive, and used bigger "Ditch Witch" tires. Expensive and specialized for oilfield work. Very much unstoppable.

Pity that Argo did not follow Bill's example or just rip off Prairie Bobcat's variable clutch drive system long ago.

Pity that they did not install Tsubaki chain in the first place, and make double drive chain standard in the beginning.

Pity that Argo did not try and put the power in the back to balance the machine better in water.

Sorry for breaking up the love in, but there are many people suffering PTSD because of these rolling gas jugs.

It can be done better. Argo has known that for 30 years.

Drewski

I agree with this... I do admit I only have experience with the older Argos, the new ones may be different but that whole "braking one side to make the other side overcome the stopping force to turn" thing left a bad taste in my mouth. As far as following your Argo with my SxS, I don't have a need to go places like that, but if I did... I could hire a chopper a few times before I got close to the $30,000.00 price tag on a new fully equipped wonder machine from a company that only took 30 yrs to make a decent mechanical design.... & when I say decent I'm being generous; sure don't see many utility quads or Utv's made in the last 2 decades with CHAIN DRIVE.... maybe there is a reason for that????