View Single Post
Old 11-14-2014, 07:22 PM

Default Hood fun

In my little cul de sac;
1) The retired and widowed mechanic who is a Jeep fanatic and has a garage full of every imaginable tool and welding gear. He built a "Jesuki" with a '93 Suzuki chassis on which he mounted a '47 army jeep body which he salvaged and rebuilt, all in his garage and driveway. Got it inspected and registered - very cool. His "Jeep club" buddies come by to have him help with various customizations. I enjoy going over and seeing what project he is working on and discussing it.
2) The "ne're do wells" who have sons who are in constant trouble. Luckily, they do their dirty deeds elsewhere and have never been any real trouble for the neighbours. Constant stream of EPS cars and personnel at their house.
3) The "curmudgeon" who for many years has made every effort to make his neighbours as miserable as he is. Endless stories, and he is now confined to his house and on his last legs, with homecare. Relatively harmless, but many years of entertainment from his antics for all of us.
4) The wonderful neighbour newfie who is the neighbourhood handyman ( I think virtually everyone in the hood has had his assistance to fix or renovate all manner of things, sometimes paid, but often just gratuitous) and social convenor. His garage door is almost always open in good weather, and the visitors are endless - just an ongoing rotating social event. And, every year, in August, his lobster fest, with a hundred people, and a pipe band playing in the street.
5) Just a very tolerant and friendly, very diverse, and interesting bunch of neighbours, most of whom have lived here for a long time, and are old friends who treat each other with respect and participate to make it a great hood.
Always something to observe out my front window and lots of entertaining stuff going on. I was very lucky indeed to move here 20 years ago. I don't know of any other "city" hood that is more "together" as such. I have many friends who are envious, because they can't get any social connection or participation from their hood.