View Single Post
Old 11-29-2014, 02:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags View Post

Also, I grew up watching the Riggers, and got to play a couple games for the Jr. Riggers a few years back, and also umpired Rigger games for several years. What was your name? I would happily corroborate your story for everyone (the part where you played, not the part where they are semi pro).

Cheers
Hey Wags is your name Brian? There were only a few umpires who ump'ed our games at Great Chief. Brian usually was behind the plate. Skinny guy, blondish/brn hair. Always enjoyed him, he was a nice guy. If your last name is Wagner, that sounds familiar. I think I was catching one game when a pitcher was warming up and let a fast ball drill you in the chest one game. LOL Sorry about that, I was a bit hung-over. !

There were only a handful of paid players on the team at that time. I'll give you their initials cause the yuckleberries here will get their panties into a bunch if I give full names.

* TH
* DL
* PD
* Myself
* And the Center Fielder, and Shortstop, who I can't remember their names now.

Everyone else was not paid and not aware those of us who were. Pappa L was running the show at that time and did things old school behind the scenes. Which wasn't exactly league legal, but everything the Riggers did in those early years was old school and we were a powerful organization at that time in the baseball world of Alberta and Canada for that matter. We made the rules....but didn't follow them.

Other team members at that time were...

* CS
* AP
* DP

I can picture the others but can't remember their names now but that should be enough for you to know the validity of my claims. Those were the years we won Nationals every year. Or at least 2 of 3...I think my 3'rd year when the team changed to younger guys, we came in 2'nd. Can't remember now. But those first two years when all the older guys were playing was just an absolutely brilliant time! We were unstoppable and the personalities on those teams were right out the movie Slapshot!

As far as the my Provincial RMW record 6+ lbs'er. He was caught on a top water Rapala with the jointed tail. West of Innisfail is/was a water treatment plant on the Red Deer River. Just before you enter the plant is their chain link fence. Park there and follow the fence-line down the water. You'll find the river has split creating an island. If not high rain water, cross over to the island. Should be about 3' feet of water unless it has rained, (then I wouldn't advise the wading over). Walk down to the end of the island (east) and right there is a massive, deep pool (where the river comes together again), with good swift current running through it on the island side and a nice deep bank-line of slow water. Cast your Rapala over to the bank and twitch, twitch, twitch. Perhaps his great, great, grandson of 8 lbs is waiting.

I don't mind sharing the spot as I have no intention of going back. And it was mid-80's so who knows, that island may not even be there now.

If anyone does go out there....let me know and take some pics. I'd be curious to see again, where my monster, record RMW, came out of.

Last edited by BanffOrBust; 11-29-2014 at 03:03 PM.