View Single Post
Old 11-29-2014, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanffOrBust View Post
That's what I don't get. And I say great CBA!! Nice one for sure! But, I was catching RMW this size left and right in my 3 years of living in Alberta. I know none of you believe me but I'm not making it up. Sure, that was on the large side of things but a regular catch.

I don't think the road is still open from another post. But>>>>

Go West through Innisfail. The road has changed from what I hear now. But go through town, over the tracks, by the cemetery, by the golf course, around the bend and you'll run into the bridge over the Red Deer River in about 3/4 of a mile. Turn around and go back (only way for me to give you directions), and the first dirt road to the west (right turn), take it. It will go for about 1/2 a mile and bend to the right, then down to the river. There is a rocky beach there. Just to the left of where the dirt road comes into the beach is shrubs. In front of those shrubs is a very deep hole with undercut bank. 2 lbs Whitefish sit in this hole everyday and all day. You have to go old school. About a 3" nail tied directly to your line on the bottom, and a store bought brown fly with leader tied directly to your line about 24" inches up. The store bought leaders with eyelets are about 8" if I recall (if you want to tie your own leader with eyelet). Royal Coachman will work but I preferred a brown fly without the white in it...brown with black wings seemed to work well. Then buy some maggots at the corner store (last store before the tracks on the right into town, doubt it's still there), maggot onto the fly's hook. 2 usually works best. Throw upstream about 20 feet, about 5' feet out from the bank. If you throw out further than 10' from the bank into the middle you wont' catch anything. They are hugging the bank under the undercut (if it's still there that is). Let it bounce through the deep hole. Keep your line tight as you need to know the difference between the nail bouncing on the rocks and a fish hitting. A fish hitting will just feel different (or not), you will get the hang of it once you catch one.

I know things change but in 1986, I'd catch 2 lbs RMW in this whole every single day, even in the winter.

Maybe like some complain there are no deer left....maybe things have changed and there are no large RMW left.

My theory would be the (at that time), the newly built Dickson Dam ruined that stretch of the river just below it. It was just completed sometime near when I was there. Don't remember.

Happy RMW fishing. From the AB Record Holder! !
you must be holding something else

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich