View Single Post
Old 12-04-2014, 07:53 AM

I see a couple problems with the full curl rule, first young barly legal rams with lamb tips will be shot on site, second this is just like when they went from 3/4 to 4/5, In the long run it mde no difference to the conservation of the species just increased trophy caliber...maybe.

I have seen a few old past breeding age rams that were tanks that didn't make 4/5. If there is a rule change it needs to be so a hunter can harvest one of these types of old brutes vs encouraging people to shoot 6 year old full curl rams with lamb tips.

Also the idea that there will be that many more mature rams the next year is a farce. I have hunted one particular drainage for several years. In the fall there is usually 60-80 almost legal rams (4-5 yr olds) the next year only a fraction of that population makes it (or at least is back) and the almost legal guys are broomed to be sub legal again. Maybe only see 3-5, 4/5 rams a year there and that has been consistent every year. I have never ever seen one in that dranage that made full curl regardless of age.

Some more thought needs to be put into this one before rules change. There is still a lot of sheep and a lot of good rams out there. What problem are they trying to fix exactly?