View Single Post
Old 01-19-2015, 03:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
Just use this thread as an example. Lol.. (seriously)

Posts such as 45-70sapper that recieve plenty of support truely qualify the difficulties.
Sapper ( possibly a vet or active soldier) feels that history can be forgotten and agreements broken when it suits his desire. True, but usually only in a forceful situation. Should we forget our commitments to war veterans when it suits us? Should we disolve the foundations of law in order to tweek the rules?

I believe the roadblocks I mentioned earleir had less to do with outright racism or patriarchial exclusionism, but more with an uneasy stance on how to develop a working relationship when most had little to no understanding of the native's cultural and legal positions. Quite simply the idea was lost due to it being new ground that these outdoors people were skeptical to explore.

I suggest taking a different road than most here can see on the map. Lets work with the Treaty 6, 7 and 8 Nations to improve/strengthen wildlife management through consultation and a fostering of localized responsibility/control.

Without developing a symbiotic relationship the choices remain one of divisions. The current legal standing of Treaty hunting will squash common licenced hunting into oblivion if further travel down this path is taken. Recent (Manitoba, Territories, BC) treaty decisions are quickly putting the licenced hunter into the history books. Some time it is wise and profitable to shut up, swallow some pride and make a deal. Who knows, perhaps the new agreements might even be honoured.
Was it just the white man side who wanted nothing to do with it, or is it fair to say it was a pot meet kettle type scenario? In general I see a stronger opposition to revamping the treaties from the aboriginal side.

If it were to go the way of non status people not having a license to hunt, are we expected to use tax payers dollars to enforce the law? I can't see that happening. Even if it did, I wouldn't be scared of poaching, who's going to report me? Joe farmer who's not allowed to hunt now either? This would most definitely lead to a total collapse of our wildlife IMO.