View Single Post
Old 01-21-2015, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
I realize it will fall upon FN to decide that there is a need for regulation to sustain Canada's fish and wildlife, and don't worry, I have no grand illusions. Writing it down for all to see feels therapeutic in a way though.

One positive note that has come from this thread so far is that I believe there are a couple with treaty rights who know the system is broken, and I'd be willing to bet that in the name of conservation they would be willing to change. Others would rather see all the wildlife decimated before ever letting a non treaty have equal harvest rights, or agree to a limited harvest.

I truly believe that in time, and through education a change will come.
I don't necessarily see a problem in the systems theory and with it being broken, it's more with people's fear, misconceptions and I don't know if jeolousy is the right word but it's something. I have not seen meat wasted, I have seen it used at the reserve level by people who cannot get out and hunt, or homes that don't have hunters. I know alot of people that if they could, they would welcome this ability(we witnessed this with Metis in Sask in about 1994)
The Indians get it this week with Suffield going on, they will get it also when Cadomin is going on. Other times of the year its outfitters, then Newfies, then northern Albertans vs southern Albertans.
As mentioned before, there are way too many other factors that will impact general populations than Subsistence hunting imo