Thread: Isle Lake
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2015, 06:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
I think it's not a great candidate to stock considering the high risks associated with winter and summerkills.

Lake is Hyper-Eutrophic - super high productivity for algal growth and subject to frequent winter kills and frequent summer kills due to the lack of O2 levels.

This does mean there is lots of food and nutrients in there and any fish that do survive will likely have lots to eat and they will grow quickly. But if you consider a winter or summer kill every few years, it's really irrelevant.

The lake is more like a 10km long slew that is a part of the sturgeon river system. Average depths are extremely shallow at about 4m with most of the lake covered and choked in weed mass. It's shallow, murky and prone to massive blue/green cyanobacteria growth.

After these frequent kills - Fish will repopulate the lake from adjoining watershed and the cycle starts all over again.

I wouldn't support having my dollars go to stock a lake that could see the fish we stocked die off.
Thanks for clearing that up EZM! A friend of mine used to live on the lake and he said the fishing was good!