View Single Post
Old 02-06-2015, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuntingAlberta View Post
Is there any studies or information showing how many Rams are left after the Hunting season that are smaller than Legal but almost legal (3/4 or similar size)? [B]From my hunting in the Sheep mountains, I think that we are short of that size of ram as well, meaning making the legal harvest size bigger won't change how many mature rams are out there. [/B

Even in 400, there are more 4/5's rams then the north, but still not a ton.

If making the change to full curl means that we would save all the 4/5ths rams, then where are all the 4/5ths rams in 400? I hunted 400 for 7 days this year and saw 4 rams that were 4/5s to full curl. That isn't cause to believe the rams are surviving and thriving in this environment. If the cause for less numbers of Rams was truly due to Legal Hunter Harvest then we should see a substantial number of rams that are just under legal.

Can you walk me through your logic on this point? Do you understand how the reduced activity of young Rams partaking in the rut in a healthy herd structure leads to decreased mortality?

Prior to the change most likely the full curl would be gone and probably all the 4/5 curls by season end.

We do see a substantial number of Rams in 400 that are over 4/5 curl and 3/4 curl.