View Single Post
Old 02-06-2015, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdub View Post
[/B]

Can you walk me through your logic on this point? Do you understand how the reduced activity of young Rams partaking in the rut in a healthy herd structure leads to decreased mortality?

Prior to the change most likely the full curl would be gone and probably all the 4/5 curls by season end.

We do see a substantial number of Rams in 400 that are over 4/5 curl and 3/4 curl.
Yes, I understand the point of decreased mortality if the older rams are left to breed. What I am wondering is if there are facts to support the numbers that they claim are saying as soon as a ram hits Legal it dies. I'd like to know if they have any mortality information from 400 or other zones that shows how many of these younger rams are dieing because of breeding and becoming weak for the winter. Is there a difference in how many 3/4 to 4/5 rams die after the season in northern zones compared to the full curl zones?

I appreciate your picture, awesome shot and nice to see some good healthy rams. How many of them are 4/5? How many of them died after the season from breeding or fighting? How many of them would have died in a 4/5 zone and not made it to the next season due to legal hunting?

As I said, there are more 4/5 rams in 400, that isn't the argument. But how much better is it? Is there any research showing actual mortality rates now that we have had the full curl zone in place for almost 20 years? How many of these 4/5 rams left to breed in 400 contribute to the health of the herd? What is the difference in mortality between 3/4 rams in 400 and the northern zones?

I keep hearing that it is scientifically proven that leaving 4/5 rams makes for a healthier population of Trophy Rams, where are the numbers from 400 showing this? If this is the case then there should be approximately 10-20% Trophy Rams that are 4/5 making it through the season. I saw 300+ ewes on my 7 day hunt and four "Trophy" 4/5 rams. If the Full Curl was so good, then there should be 50 or more Trophy Rams 3/4 to full curl left.