View Single Post
Old 03-22-2015, 08:31 AM

Default Leaving at dark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertabowhunter View Post
20 yards or less... give yourself ample background cover and try to get up about 20 feet if possible. Be down wind or off to the side of the dominant winds in the area. If its 20 yards, use your 20 yard pin, whether in a tree or on the ground. Put some sort of wall with dead fall behind the barrels. This way it forces the bears to be on your side of the barrel not behind it. this will give you better shot opportunities. Force the bears to go where you want them. And make sure you have a good trail in and out with plenty of sight. Don't think you want to meet a bear walking in the trail you're exiting in the dark.
Speaking of leaving in the dark...what do you guys do at dark if you have a bear on the bait to make him leave, so you can leave? Yell? Arrow at his feet lol? My last bait I did was intended for rifle and was 100 yards from my treestand. So a couple times at dark I had this scenario happen. I just slipped down quietly and took the exit which was away from the barrels, mostly unnoticed.