Thread: Bull trout help
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2015, 08:32 AM

If you are going to target bulls on the fly I highly recommend running big white heavy flashy flies. I base most of my patterns on rabbit or marabou with added flash. Don't be afraid to go big 4-6inch in my common size but have thrown larger flies yet.

White, peach, pink, tan, black, green, and purple are my go to colours. I always carry a box of flies with a mix of these colours but white or white combined with other colours listed has been my top producer.

If conditions are right you can take them on dry mouse patterns

I have targeted bulls throughout Alberta and BC. Some tell me I have taken this species to an obsessive level lol.

When river fishing bulls be prepared to cover ground. At times you need to really search them out. If you want to catch bulls don't flogg the same hole or run all day. They are often aggressive so if they are there and you present you're fly right you will hook up. Some systems they school up others you will only find 1-3 bulls in a hole.

I have dragged new bull trout fishermen through rivers and have the day start as nothing for a few hours and a lot of wading and the day end with non stop action.

Many of the flowing waters in western Alberta hold bulls but numbers very.

Upper red deer, highwood, livingstone, and upper Oldman are a few well known rivers that can be good for bulls. Most rivers west of Rocky are worth it as well