View Single Post
Old 03-12-2009, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathewsArcher View Post
Thanks for the update.

What size holes and was that on a single battery or using both?

The adapter I picked up in High River is quite a bit different but still worked effectively and you can't loose the auger if your chuck comes loose either.

It was using the same 6 inch auger. The 17 holes were drilled on one battery. A battery takes about 1 hour to charge... Maybe a solar cell charger would work should you be out for a long day.

Issues to note are:
  1. Number of holes drilled dependent on blade size
  2. Number of holes dilled dependent on ice thickness
  3. No extension was used on this drill and therefore it was awkward drilling near the ice
  4. Very difficult to control drill with mitts or gloves
  5. The chance of wrist damage due to sudden torque of blade sticking in the ice is high
  6. You can lose the blade depending upon the auger size if you let go of the chuck
  7. I strongly recommend you double check the fit of the auger bud to the auger and drill... as any loose fitting connections could damage the auger, adapter, drill or cause the loss of the auger.
  8. Bracing the drill against a leg or body seems to help prevent the drill from whipping around.

All in all given the cost of under $300 for a drill, auger and auger bud...I would say if you drilled few than 30 holes a day...this is way better than a power auger. No gas or oil needed.

I can not vouch for the quality of the auger bud however