Thread: Minniwanka
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2015, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Minnewanka is a tough lake to catch fish on ....

The lead free rule applies to lures and tackle under 50 grams in weight or 1.76 ounces

A few weeks ago we marked most fish at 70'-140' .......

I have quite a bit of experience fishing for Lakers - there best rule is - there are no rules for where fish are holding - use your sonar.

I have caught them shallow in warm water trolling on a planner board at surface when actively feeding and I have jigged them off the bottom in cold water ....... you have to locate where they are.

It surprises me how many people speak to water temperature as if that's the predominant factor and "holy grail" in determining where the lakers are holding, when, in fact, it's just one of a few factors determining where the lakers are holding - so use your sonar is my best advice.

Keep in mind ALL non stratified lakes (which will be almost all of the colder Lakes where Lake trout live) will have a constant 4 degree temperature below the thin surface temperature you are reading on your sonar. The temp is the same at 25 ft as it is at 400 ft all year long on bigger and colder deep lakes.

Lakers will feed on the surface pushing up herring in the warm summer water all the time as they aggressively and actively feed. They will also hold deep along a thermocline at any time of the year while other times will hug the bottom inactively feeding and meandering.

Find them, mark them and then go after them as appropriate.

The depth of trout is more related to pressure then it is temperature.

Mack