View Single Post
Old 03-18-2009, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpguy7 View Post
Sundance, I'm not saying I like to catch 4 inch perch. I said I prefer to catch perch over a stocked rainbow. Being up in Grande Prairie we don't have the issue of 4 inch perch, and stunted growth like down south. There's nothing wrong with catching trout, but up here there isn't a lot of fishing in the area and it seems like stocked trout is getting old. Hopefully that clears it up.

I don't agree with the illegal stocking, I was just stating I prefer to catch an 11 inch perch over an 11 inch rainbow.
The point is that in the context given (ie. illegal perch stocking in a trout lake)...such perch while they may grow big for a short time...soon they stunt and all you have is 4 inch perch. It is that short sighted nature of the idiots that do these stockings... They ruin one fishery after another and then they die and our kids are left with useless fisheries. I understand your interest in catching 11 inch perch but putting it into perspective would you want to catch 4 inch perch instead of 11 inch trout? I don't think you would.

Therefore you have to understand the problem and see the logic in a solution. You have to stop the cancerous spread of illegal perch. Perch in a pike, walleye, burbot, whitefish lake are natural and controlled by mother nature.

Problems with lack of perch in natural populations is over exploitation and poor management. That issue is another topic all together.

jrs...I agree. Transplanting live fish is fraught with peril. That is why stocking is conducted from a controlled hatchery most times and with eggs that have only been in the hatchery. I believe one rare live fish transfer was browns from the Bow into the Red Deer.