View Single Post
Old 07-03-2015, 12:57 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonA View Post
This subject really gets me fired up so I'll try to keep it brief...
In 2005 (or so) while I was assisting ACA & SRD with a Fall Walleye Index Netting, I brought 2 frozen fish with me (from personal fishing trip) for identification. Of the 3 biologists from SRD, they could not agree on the species ID of either the goldfish or the carp. In fact they dismissed this as a (one-off) incidental catch from a pond not capable of reaching other waterways. Even further, I was assured not to worry as these fish would not survive in Alberta's climate and my samples were soon pitched in the trash! Here we are, almost 10 years later and we are now commonly identifying Waterbodies with the Prussian carp and silver goldfish. They are in carol side, MacGregor, Travers', Newell Rolling Hills, and others now!!
With over 100 days on the water each year, I find it maddening that someone sitting behind a desk can be an authority over our waterways and wildlife.
ESRD needs a new director or consultant.
Just my 2 cents

Do some research on a guy named Surrendi and you may see why these things happen.

Let's see here. Crayfish common in Ontario, carp, common in Ontario, bullheads, common in Ontario, mussels found in a roadside boatcheck, common in Ontario.
NDP voted in to office, common in Ontario.

OMG!! what pest from Ontario will we be subjected to next, smallmouth bass????????

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand