View Single Post
Old 08-04-2015, 11:38 AM
Banned

My favorite is the birch bark horn,but I've called moose with cupped hands just as often or more?
Other horn material alternatives that are inexpensive or free,and compact/foldable....rolled up tarpaper or a traffic cone.....if you can find one made of softer material it can be rolled/folded up into your pack or coat pocket.Another nice thing about horn type calls is you can use it to imitate a moose urinating in a beaver pond,a trick that can come in handy to seal the deal with a more subtle technique when that bull hangs up out of sight and won't come in the last few yards needed for a shot.
Raking with a dry moose,elk,or cattle scapula is a favorite tactic,I'd suggest visiting a butcher ASAP to get a cow shoulder and let it dry in the summer sun as much as possible before moose season is upon us.
An old dry canoe paddle makes a great tree raker as well,allows you to really whack the trees with authority.They can sound amazingly realistic against the proper trees and the sound carries very well albeit a bit cumbersome to lug around,but can double as a walking stick and/or monopod shooting stick also.