View Single Post
Old 08-28-2015, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyTheory View Post
I'm gonna upset a ton of people but... Why don't quadders sell their quads, get off their asses and walk during the summer (or even mtn bike, like myself, which allows me to PICK UP my bike and carry it over water, reducing impact), and buy snowmobiles for the winter. Minimal damage to creeks and habitat, as well as utilizing a more prominent season of our climate. Win win win win.
I'm not sure that you will upset anyone as much as you will just be viewed and a self centered ignorant individual who thinks everyone should recreate within what he sees as acceptable. You pretty much ensure that you will be brushed off and ignored. But I'll try once more.

Quote:
Just sling it on your shoulder to carry it, a lot of mountain bikers do it. No you're misconstruing my words, what I was insinuating is that footprints are less damaging than tire tracks. Of course I wade in the water when I have to, but if I don't need to then I don't.

In both statements you admit that you negatively impact the environment/fish habitat but I guess your level of impact to do what you want is ok by your standards. If you stayed out of the water completely then you won't impact the water shed at all or much less then you do now. But be careful that you don't disturb the river banks or you will cause more dirt to fall into the water and increase the sediment content. You will however continue to kill fish as everyone knows, catch and release does have a mortality rate, be it arguable as to how much.

Quote:
If you drove in/through the creek then yes, you impacted bull trout populations. If you used the trail and didn't get close to the water, then no, you didn't make any significant difference.
I was in Grande Cache talking with a CO and they are starting to implument stricter laws provincially (this is according to him, don't quote me) towards abuse of waterways from ATVs. Just a heads up.
I have to ask why you're focused on quads alone and seem to ignore the impact of other activities and industries?
There are these threads posted on these forum that link to video of other activities. I don't see a single post condemning them of their activities. I would never do what they are doing with my quad and yet everyone seems to be fine with it. Why is that? Is it ok because it doesn't appear that they are along the eastern watershed/ mountain range? Have a look in case you missed them when they were posted
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...highlight=argo

Have a close look at this plus map and you will see that the designated equestrian trail is IN the river. The users of that trail are headed up into the back country to sheep hunt. They are taking horse drawn wagons and pack horses up there IN the river. No one will ever convince me that there isnt a substantial impact by those horse drawn wagons and pack horses. Look closely. Between cc2 and cc3 there is a line that drops into the river. It continues that way up to cc4. Look that the legend. I though I read some place that the Clearwater was also important to the bull trout.

http://aep.alberta.ca/recreation-pub...ap-Feb2015.pdf

Thanks for the heads up but I am fully aware of what I am allowed to do. I will be out this long weekend camping and quadding. I will be riding in the Ghost PLUZ with a quadding club. There will be 50 to 60 quads and side by sides owned by the members of the family friendly club at the ghost airstrip group site. There is going to be a quad/ sidexsides demo day put on my a few of retailers from down south there.
We will be riding the designated trails and we will be crossing several creeks numerous times over the weekend. We will be doing this under the watchful eye of the CO's. We will stop and talk with them. They will check our registration and insurance and wish us an enjoyable weekend. To your dismay, I can legally cross a creek. I'm sure this will continue for some time.

At the end of the day you will have be comfortable with the impact you have on the environment and I will be with mine. But don't begin to try and tell me how I should (legally) spend my time.

When the laws become to restrictive then I think I'll go get a jet boat. Looks like a lot of fun. Have you seen all the youtube videos? I really like the ones for "skinny water". They claim they can run in as little as 4" of water. Can you imagine that! "That can't possibly have an impact on the river bed, a 2000lb boat running as 40 plus km an hour pumping out a huge jet stream of water running for miles and miles. NAA no impact at all!

I'll still be getting further upstream then Don

Don't drink the water!!

Who are you going to blame when all the ohv's are gone and the fish are still dieing