View Single Post
Old 09-10-2015, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith View Post
If you think a wind meter at the shooter's position is what wind corrections are all about, then you clearly shouldn't be speaking authoritatively about wind corrections or LR shooting.
I don't use a wind meter, and I don't judge windage based only on what I am seeing at the location that I am shooting from. However, some people, including the people that I was observing, obviously thought that doing so was adequate. Obviously they were wrong.

I have no issue with people doing long range target shooting, and to be honest, although I am not interested in long range shooting myself, I do respect the people that can accurately place a bullet at long range, on a consistent basis. Unfortunately, I have seen many more want to be long range shooters that didn't have the skills to shoot accurately at long range, than I have seen competent long range shooters. Naturally, that translates into many people attempting long range shots on game animals, that don't have the skills to make those shots on a consistent basis.

I have also seen shooters that find it perfectly acceptable to shoot at the animal, while not even being convinced that the first shot will be right on target. Their reasoning is that if the first shot does not provide a clean kill, as long as it is close enough to see the impact, they will just adjust their aim for a follow up shot. I have too much respect for the animals that I hunt, to take any shot that I am not convinced that I can make a clean kill with the first shot.