Thread: Catch and Eat
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2015, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldscud View Post
What about when there are more fisherman than fish for this "right" you think you have? Do other "outdoorsman" have the "right" to drive their ATVs down the streambed on the Livingstone (they are doing it)? 20 years ago the streams could handle the angling pressure with a rotating system of closures, today there are hundreds more fisherman on the streams. If we all took a limit, how many summers would it take to get almost all the fish?
The streams I fish have never been better. More and bigger fish. I never see anyone fishing anymore. I'm serious. Even the ATV people are just roaring around trying to find a new way to get stuck.

But I'm unhappy because my favourite Athabow stream, which is teeming with fish like never before, (and I'm talking 20+ years)has been declared catch and release. Now I cant fish it anymore.

I tried the catch and release on it on the first day of the first year, but had to watch my buddy toss a 15" beauty back in dead. Done.

So this year I got curious about what the South Ram, my old favorite, was like. After testing it out, I would have definitely said it needed to be reopened to fishing. However, there was a bunch of C&Rs just below the road, striking poses in their fancy designer get ups, catching fish, and really just generally feeling good about themselves. Maybe this shouldn't be taken away from them.