View Single Post
Old 09-15-2015, 06:50 PM

Default Sept 11, 2015 Bull

Had a bull sounding off as soon as my hunting partner and I stepped out of the truck to spray down for our walk in, set up on him once we got into a couple hundred yards. Set up and tried to call him in and he stayed put,so we moved in a bit closer and tried a new tactic, had the caller bugle and rake and I went to the downwind side, I then noticed that it appeared we had two bulls repling to the bugling, so I started to work in closer and chirped as I went in, I then noticed yet another bull repling from directly down wind but distant. I continued on towrads the bulls sounding off to the south of us. I chirped a few more times as I advanced and heard one of the calls was much closer now, so I set up quickly in a spot that had a few short shooting lanes and called again, he was very close and still coming, I saw him about 50 yards out through cover and drew as he advanced, he stoped at about 30 yards still head on, I kept quiet and waited as he assessed his suroundings. and put his head down bugled and proceeded to angle downwind, I looked and found an opening ahead of him and settled my sights as he stepped into the lane, I let the arrow go and he took the shot, the arrow buried up past the fletch to the lighted nock, he bolted forward the 20 or so yards to stop directly to my left at about 15 feet, he was standing facing directly away from me, he swung his head to look at the glowing red nock and blood welling from the wound from the arrow that was buried in his side, I had already nocked a second arrow, and saw his front shoulder as he swung his head and drew my Hoyt (which seemed much more difficult due to the adrenaline and the fact I didnt want him to see me) I did my best to settled the pin with a few small alders and bushes between us and released a second arrow. He took off on a dead run busting brush hard as he went. I cow called several times to attempt to slow him down , it went quiet and I pulled out my bugle and let out three short bugles to let my partner know it was time to come forward. The bull had went about 75 yards and piled up. My partner had explained he had yet another bull coming in from behind him the whole time, talk about a great multi bull encounter.

We had started to pose him for pics and noticed the other bull had moved up not far from where I took the original shot, We debated setting up on the second bull, but decided with the amount of work ahead of us and the warm forecast it would be best to get this one out of the bush and into the cooler. 4 hours after we had him in the truck and off to the cooler.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20150911_083438.jpg (56.0 KB, 478 views)