Thread: Coyote theif
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2015, 12:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by drake View Post
Do you guys shoot coyotes in footholds too?
No, I wouldn't shoot a coyote caught in a foothold but only because I trap and understand the difference between a killing snare and a foothold trap. I also know what water head is. Most people don't though, they just see an animal caught in a trap and figure that they are doing it a favour. Hunters with rifles aren't going to worry about wrecking the fur and use a club, they're just going to shoot it, they're not anti trapping. If I went back the next day and it was still there I'm not sure what I'd do but I would definitely want to light a fire under the trapper's butt to get him off of his arse and do what he's supposed to be doing. If I couldn't find the guy maybe shooting his coyote would send the right message that he ought to be checking his traps before someone shoots it.

I check my snares every day but I won't try to push my ethics on anyone else, that's a personal thing. If someone shot a live caught coyote in one of my snares and told me about it I'd likely thank him, despite the disappointment of losing that fur. That would be his own personal ethics. To each their own.