View Single Post
Old 01-04-2016, 10:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikebreath View Post
The suggestion was in response to the statement that landowners should only get antlerless tags only if they can prove they let Joe Public hunt on their land

I think you missed the sarcasm!!!

What many of you need to get over is the perceived sense of social injustice that I may actually get to shoot a few more mule bucks on my own land in my lifetime than you will get to shoot on my land.

Nothing stopping you from purchasing land and becoming a landowner yourself,,, oh wait, but you can't afford to that,,, so lets just get rid of landowner mule buck tags cuz you don't think it's fair.

Yep,,, but also ask yourself,,,, it is really fair,,,, that I as landowner who willingly provides the habitat and the forage that sustains larger numbers of ungulates and other wildlife that would otherwise not be there at all if I got rid of all game attracting habitat on my farm,,, have to compete for the same tag as some faceless stranger who lives hours away becuz he feels he owns the deer on my land as much as I do, yet he doesn't pay one cent of rent or child support to the deer's landlord???

Most jurisdictions in North America allow landowners to be compensated in some manner (mostly in the form of some sort of paid hunting access) for providing habitat for wildlife on their land. Other than a few landowner tags (which have no financial benefit) to harvest a mule buck or doe, or an antlerless elk, landowners in Alberta have no other means for legal compensation. That is pretty small price for general Joe Hunter to pay compared to what most other jurisdictions are doing.
You may have good intentions with your Antlered Mule deer tag, but others out there do not.

I could spend $120,000 on 20 Acres out by Milk river, grow nothing but Alfalfa and Imperial Deer food, then get a landowners Antlered Mule deer license and shoot a big one every year.

If the intention is to stop deer from eating ruling your crops then may 2-3 Antleress tags would suffice? There is no reason to have a Antlered tag for Mule deer for landowners. Especially since it seems to be the overwhelming choice over the Antlerless tag.