View Single Post
Old 01-04-2016, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock1 View Post
DH,

What would happen to these outfitters in these zones with draws whose livelyhood depends on those allocations that they may have worked years and years to acquire or pay off. what is your opinion on what this group of people with families and lifetimes of investment of time and money etc...Who bought property and built homes and raised their children there because their allocations were in these zones? What is your solution if your method was introduced in the draw zones in Alberta?
Do you think they should be compensated? or how should that work?

I am playing devils advocate here. I hate waiting 12 years for my antelope draw as well. But I am thinking about the families that have outfitted in these zones, and there are tons of them( zones that require draw and families that live off the income of these permits) for years and rely on this income.

Again, not saying I agree at all with how the draw system works in Ab, because it really is a joke, but you seem to have one of the strongest voices here regarding this subject and you seem to have done your research and have remained extremely calm. hence the reason I have directed this toward you so we can look at things from a different angle maybe.. the ripple effect from these methods could and would have devastating effects on many people who call outfitting wha they do for a living.

Does this concern you or no?
They don't care Broke, none of them do. They will say it's a risk we take going into business, or you've already made enough money off my resource so I don't care what you think.
They don't think of the guides or the cooks or the wranglers, all they care about is themselves.
If I get 100% instead of 90% then I might knock a year off a 10 year wait.

Deerhunter is a prime example. He has no problem going to Zimbabwe and shooting a Leopard. After all he's helping out the locals with all the money he spent. Except all the leopard quota now goes to outfitters that can sell it to wealthy foreigners, the school teacher in Bullawayo now will never be able to afford the hunt that his father could.
But that doesn't matter to him, it's different there, it's not where he lives. But to the school teacher there, it does matter.

Now please don't take this as me thinking we shouldn't hunt abroad, I've been to Africa several times myself. What I do think is we can share and support a 100 year old industry. It's only 10% after all, residents still get 90%.