View Single Post
Old 01-05-2016, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik View Post
In provinces where hunting big game is permitted with a dog it is usually a requirement to have the dog on a leash.

I think this is a rational way to permit what ideal (tracking wounded animals) and keep out what isn't ideal (dogs chasing uninjured big game). If you've never wandered in the woods with leashed dog then I can tell you it is extremely cumbersome and something I'd only ever be inclined to do if I was pursuing already injured animals that I could not locate. I'd much rather hunt on my own two feet than hunt with dog on lead, but tracking a wounded animal would be nice with a leashed dog.

Plus, if enforcement is already an issue, why wouldn't people who want to run dogs just run dogs. How would a leashed dog law change the enforcement aspect? People who are inclined to break laws will break them and honest people will still be honest.
Anywhere I hunted with hounds for big game they were not leashed, and the law did not require them to be leashed.
That was many years ago however.

Cat