View Single Post
Old 02-18-2016, 07:25 PM

I am not concerned. My insurance company was more than happy to put it in writing for me. My broker, who I have dealt with for years, said she has paid out 2 policies (one was a complete write off the other was recovery and some minor damage for a partial breakthrough) for ice fishing. All I pay for is the deductible.

That was over a period of about 30 years. On the other hand - these guys probably pay out 2 claims a days for a road accident.

It's the personal injury for them that gets expensive - not the cost of the lousy truck which is depreciated .....

side note - There is only one reasonable stipulation to my policy..... I must enter/exit the ice from a "common" public point such as a boat launch AND there can be no warning signs posted that say "unsafe ice".

That's all, that's it ........... I am covered.

It sounds to me there are crooked companies, poorly educated brokers and agents and different rules for different policies and insurance companies ........ so the best advice I can give is do your own research with your own insurer.

At the end of the day there aren't that many vehicles being written off every year and most smart companies would rather get your premiums and cover you for this small risk. The alternative is having you leave them to pay their competitor premiums because their coverage isn't what you are looking for. What is more likely to happen to you? an accident or an ice breakthrough?

Simple math gentlemen .....

Last edited by EZM; 02-18-2016 at 07:31 PM.