View Single Post
Old 03-08-2016, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
Original poster here..... thanks for all the replies.

A little more info here.....

My budget isn't set in stone, but I'd say $500 for a starting point, rod only. I currently have a lower end TFO 4 wgt, which I've enjoyed, but I'm wanting to buy myself an upgrade for my upcoming 50th BD.

Most of my fishing is for trout on my float tube. I know there are a lot of good quality rods out there, but I'm not sure I can justify the cost of a $1000 fly rod before a new reel, spools, and lines. $500? Maybe I can justify that lol!

I've read a few other posts on similar topics.... Sage, G Loomis, Orvis..... the list of quality rods goes on and on. For some companies, $500 would be their top end rods.... for someone like Sage, it would be their low end rods. I may be getting a little grey, but I'm open to learning something.... anyone care to educate me on some choices I have?
I love 4wts but always grab a 5 or even a 6 when tubing or on the pontoon. It always seems the big ones are rising upwind and just out of reach whenever I grab a 4 for the lake. As mentioned, a longer rod is handy too like a 9'6" or even a 10'.

There are often times that streamers or a strike indicator will save the day when the bite is slow. A 5 or 6 will turn over a lot more junk than a 4.

I have become a huge fan of South Korean rods like the Hardy's and Loop. Have a Zenith and Opti-stream in the house and both are keepers.

I have a few Sage rods that I really like. A used ZXL or Z-Axis should be in your price range and both are excellent rods. I have read enough good reviews about the NRX that I would grab one if I saw a good deal and the young fellow had a ProX4 that he really liked.

You should really try a few before deciding. There are many very good rods in the $500 range.