View Single Post
Old 03-09-2016, 08:33 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFNG View Post
Sorry no pics today guys. I did catch a nice 58 pound beaver but that was it. I pulled out of the house I caught the big one out of and moved the traps to a fresh house.

That badger did come out but I hadn't made enough room for the trap and it caught the edge of the hole. It makes me mad because I was aware of the need to have enough room for the jaws to swing. I just underestimated how big the hole needed to be. A couple more swings with the axe and I would have had my first badger. Instead I got three badger hairs.

Antlercarver I have considered sharpening only one side of the knife. The knife is working but I had the edge so fine it was not durable. I've been increasing the angle as I go.

7mmstw. I've heard of people using shin bones for clean skinning before. You must like it if you do all your beaver that way. Is it hard to learn how? Is the risk of damaging the hide less using the bone?
Sorry you missed the Badger, I learned that lesson the same way, not the best way to learn but perhaps the way that makes the longest lasting impression. Tough luck.

58lbs. That's big, but how big.

Do trappers these days refer to beaver size using pelt measurement?

That's the way I learned and it's what I understand. You know, Kit= under 42", small= 42-49", medium = 50-54" , large = 55- 59", extra large = 60-64", blanket = 65-69", super blanket = 70-75". double super = anything over 75". I only saw one double super in my life and I wasn't the one to catch it. As I recall it measured 84" tail to ears plus width.
If memory serves, I believe that one weighed around 120lbs.

George Bernard Shaw