View Single Post
Old 06-04-2007, 04:41 PM
s_buffalo

Good read on this thread.

Before I blab here, just so's you know, I'm not an expert on either bows or firearms, but I enjoy shooting both and I certainly value the different skills and hunting disciplines involved.

In my mind, there is a logical reason for the separation between the bow and rifle seasons:

1.) Stalking: Bow hunters typically need to be able to get closer to their quarry than rifle hunters do. Because it is a "quiet" hunting season, the animals are typically less skittish, facilitating the stalk.

2.) Safety: A bowhunter relies heavily on camouflage and proximity. Bearing in mind that a bowhunter's concealment efforts are not only effective in regards to the quarry, but also other hunters, a bowhunter can have the added confidence of not having the added risk of being accidentally shot by another hunter using a weapon with a longer 'reach' (i.e. a rifle hunter) while approaching an animal.

Now, with this in mind, I don't understand why some think a crossbow doesn't fit the above criteria... Can you?

Bow season wasn't created to provide priveleged/priority access. It was designed to provide greater chances of sucess for those who choose a weapon where the level of difficulty in attaining success was typically greater. I honestly believe that horizontal bows are on par with vertical bows in this regard, in comparison to firearms. In comparison with each other, like Sheephunter points out, there is give-and-take (bulk vs. draw).

Just my 2¢... Have fun out there, guys & gals!

Stinky