View Single Post
Old 06-01-2009, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBADJOHN View Post
Hmmmm that just sounds like some lame Government excuse but then again there's probably some truth to it . I know Each species has different Genetics . I also know that there's different Diseases in each species , but In a diminishing conditions again shows that the Government isn't working on recovering stocks of fish types other then Trout and Walleye . I don't know if its they think other species are not in jeopardy as us fishermen/woman who are out in the field can tell you that numbers are way down . Not to mention 20 years ago you don't remember catching walleye with a baseball size tumor on the side of its body . Or a White fish filled with tapeworms . IT to me seems its due to lack of work from the government agency's to do what they should be to sustain our fish populations.Its a complete joke if you ask me . With in 15 to 20 years there wont be a fishery in this province unless some severe changes are made .

You are thinking of just the major problem with disease. These perch are all the product of maybe somewheres between 10 and 100 individual perch from the initial "bucket". That in itself does not make for good genetics. Also for some species...local genetics have been honed by nature to allow for best growth, disease resistance, general survival etc.

Stocking is not the solution to every problem and definitely not stocking from a lake like this that has mixed stocked trout from many private hatcheries over the years.

Sustaining fish stocks does not include supplementing with stocked fish. For a healthy lake to stay healthy you need a sustainable harvest and probably specific to an individual lake rather than blanket regs. We need more research money for F&W to become more focused on the problems...reduced limits given the population increases over the years seems to make the most sense...slot limit, periodic catch and release closures, spawning protection etc. This is a very complicated issue.