View Single Post
Old 09-10-2016, 08:59 PM

Default Pros and Cons

I get that people I don't like the tag system, I don't either.

But! The one major advantage of a tag system is that it allows the bios set exactly the number and sizes of fish for each lake.

Whereas even allowing 1 walleye per angler per lake per outing could still collapse a fishery. Of course, I'll cherry pick my example and use Pigeon Lake. How sustainable would Pigeon lake be if every angler kept one fish for every outing. I'd be concerned...

However, I think they could manage the 1 limit if they made that tradeoff of having a limited harvest season. Depending on each lake, it could be as little as a few weeks to a few months. Spread it out between open water and ice fishing.

We simply have too many anglers, too little waters, this isn't Saskatchewan, yadda blah, yadda blah. Most of us have heard this before.

Anyways, it's good for anglers to speak up and see if our gov't makes any adjustments based on demand and how to manage fishing pressure. Yet stable fish populations have to come before a movement to harvest and/or uncomplicating the regs, imho.

Smitty