View Single Post
Old 06-10-2009, 08:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
all I know is last weekend, in moderately murkey water, behind a spinner, bright yellow gulp minnows were working as well or better than live bait with half the hastle. I have not used them under other conditions so I can not say, quite possibly you are correct. But I'm gonna do some more fishing before I determine for myself. I picked up a pack of some gulp leaches, when the water clears up I'll give them a try. Could be that day you were out on pidgion the walleye were hitting minnows not leaches. Could be the days I used gulp the bite was hot and I could have used an old sock and done well.
I highlighted what I think is the key to your success.

I've had pretty good luck with the Gulp Alive as well - when using it in combination with spinners on a bottom bouncer rig.

IMHO, the Gulp stuff works great anytime you're simply trying to enhance a presentation that's already effective on it's own and capable of getting a "reaction bite", like spinners. I find it to be pretty hard to beat when bottom bouncing, especially given how convenient and tough it is compared to the real thing.

I've had OK luck with it for tipping jigs, but in my experience, the real thing always outfished it. When the bite is hot and heavy with lots of smaller fish, there isn't much difference, and the convenience of the Gulp actually keeps things really close by just giving you more time in the water and less time fiddling with bait. When the bite is slower though, real bait always shines through.

The only thing I've found where the Gulp really doesn't work all that well is presentations that rely on the movement of the bait - lindy rigging, slip bobbers, slow dragging jigs, etc... There's simply no replacing a lively jumbo leech when it comes to those techniques.

Waxy