View Single Post
Old 11-14-2016, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragless View Post
Just because they breach the surface doesn't mean they are eating off the surface they could be shooting up from the bottom to eat something above them and break the surface with the extra momentum they don't have breaks. This happens a lot when they are eating boatman. Good luck ,
Came here to say this. I've seen this many times but it can be tough to tell the difference. If it's later in the season when there are fewer hatches there's a good chance they are feeding just subsurface. Likewise, if you don't actually see anything on the surface or an ongoing hatch, likely subsurface. Also, if you've been fishing a few different flies on the surface with no takes, the fish are probably subsurface.

You could try a smaller size of Rapala, but a 7 should still get you some action from the larger bows and browns of all sizes. Raps that look like other trout or whitefish are good choices.

With the Bow I've had the most luck using bloodworm/wireworms size 14 to 18. I often fish 2 nymphs and 1 bloodworm, or 1 nymph and 1 bloodworm. I use an indicator. Sometimes I'll add a small split shot depending on current and depth. And I usually thoroughly fish a spot for at least 15 minutes before moving on.

Since you're spin fishing I would suggest getting a couple slip bobbers. I prefer the one's with the added weights on them to assist in casting. Get a very light one, and then a size just above that. Pick up some bobber stoppers like these http://tinyurl.com/jc2nm2b Place the bobber stop on your line first, then the slip bobber. Then tie on your nymphs, wire worms, whatever. Adjust the bobber stop to achieve your desired depth. I've used this set up before with good success.

Hopefully you're not already doing this and this is of some help.

edit: you can still use your floating bubble for casting flies, but a coloured slip bobber is better for subsurface in my experience. Easier to see, and more sensitive to takes. I still find using a floating bubble for flies on moving water challenging however. For still water they're great. But casting surface flies with a fly fishing setup seems to work best because of easier presentation and control of drag. Again, just my experience.