View Single Post
Old 11-14-2016, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
I am guessing that you are using too large of lures, not sure what size spoons/spinners you are using though.
This is what I thought at first too, but it seems like there's a decent chunk of guys tossing Rap's on the Bow and doing quite well. Floaters and countdowns. It seems like sizes 1 to 3 are most popular, in which case an ultra light spinning outfit with braided main line is going to be required to cast these any appreciable distance.

That said, there are usually plenty of fish along the banks of the Bow so long casts aren't always necessary. Short and accurate works just as well. Again, in my experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
The fish may be deeper in the water column.
Agree with this. The Bow can be pretty fast in some places. If the current is faster than walking speed the fish will be down deep where the current is slower. For wild trout, I've only fished rapalas for Bulls successfully. I've thrown a few rapalas into the Bow with little luck and mainly just to goof around. I've caught bulls and whitefish on small 1/8 panther martin gold and black spinners in the highwood, and cutties in the old man (they actually have an even smaller 1/16 lure!). I think the key with these kinds of lures is to find actively feeding or territorial fish. And there is a technique to fishing them, but you'll have to get that from others who use them regularly. For small streams and rivers I find these kinds of lures fine, even preferable to a fly kit sometimes. But in the Bow they just don't feel right--the thing is I know they work since I've seen guys pull monsters out using them.