View Single Post
Old 12-16-2016, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Any anyone who says a trapper can't decimate the wolf population is wrong. I am not seeing much for tracks in the areas i hammered them last year. Which totally shocks me. I am used to trying to wipe out coyotes at home here and seem to get nowhere with them but these wolf packs I hit last year are really hurtin now. I think I actually did the moose and deer some good. I have actually seen some moose this year which was nice and have seen more deer this year than all other years combined. Might be a fluke but if not it really has changed things.
Without a doubt you helped out the deer and moose that were left by wiping out a good number of the remaining wolves in the area.

Now your area probably was in tough shape already with the thinning of the ungulate population by hunters and the wolves already. And from the looks of the starving wolves you caught last year that were in terrible shape they were likely barely hanging on as it was. But snaring them and taking them out surely made a difference.

From what I've been reading about removing wolves from an area is the moose population can rebound and increase by up to 50% in as little as 7-10 years. The key is to reducing the numbers by a substantial amount when their population is healthy also.

High volume snaring will hopefully be the answer for me