View Single Post
Old 04-30-2017, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
My experience is that I get extremely low run-out by first fire forming the cases in the intended rifle. Then run them through my collet die. After that, I turn the necks lightly, adjust the cutting tool just enough to get a full skim on the neck.
snip
This is my exact procedure for case prep, except that I only turn for 90-95% skim cut.

I also first fireform using a heavy lead boolit jammed hard into the lands (I could not extract it without getting a magazine full of powder) and reduced charge of SR4759 or similar.

I have Redding Competition dies, but actually prefer the Lee Collet neck dies, until I need to bump the shoulder using a Redding body die & Comp shell holder.

IMHO, the Redding Comp neck bushing dies are best for partial length sizing of the neck, to create a precise lip which holds the bump at the bullet base very precisely and (according to the 'Secrets of the Huston Warehouse') is the key to maximum precision (and well beyond my ability). I do have carbide ball expanders for my Redding Comp dies, but have yet to complete needed testing to determine effective utilization.

Good Luck, YMMV.