View Single Post
Old 05-31-2017, 01:23 PM
Gone Hunting

I have two boats, a 14 foot boat and a 17 foot deep hull boat.

I often launch where there are no boat ramps, and I almost always load by myself. I prefer it that way. I've had too many experts insist I do it their way, which often winds up taking way longer then is I did it myself.

I simply tie up the boat, back the trailer in until the fenders are just under water, then float the boat on, usually about half way. Then winch it the rest of the way on with the trailer hand winch.

I've run bigger boats, in the river where powering the boat on works the best, but in lakes with no current, I like to float the boat on. Way better control and even with my 17 foot boat, it's easy to do.

The trick is, float it no more then half way on and no less then 1/4 of the way on.
If your trailer is too deep there is too much chance the boat will float to one side or the other. Too shallow makes a lot more work.

You want the first center roller to just touch the keel as the boat starts onto the trailer. This will stabilize and guide the boat without making it hard to winch on.

Both of my trailers have rollers. This does not work well with bunk type trailers.

George Bernard Shaw