View Single Post
Old 07-13-2017, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVA View Post
Edmonton is not a very fly fisherman friendly place.
It's no surprise though. Most of even "experienced" fishermen are oblivious to fly fishing around here. Many know about and some "practice", but the fact remains. Almost every time I fish the river for a pike or a walleye, I have people asking me whether I am really planning on a catching a fish. A few minutes later when I pull a walleye out and then another, and another, while most others are still waiting for a bite, they are impressed and say they had no idea you can get one with a fly. The next time I come, it's the same people sitting there with the same bate waiting for a bite.

Most think that fly fishing is only for Salmonidae family and nothing else. Many also think that it is super expensive to begin with, so they never bother to start. I remember prior to when I started, money was tough and for a few years I was "planning" to buy a rod, a reel, etc. Then I just said screw it and went and bought the 6 weight rod with a reel and a line for like $40 (I think). It even came with a few flies and a box. All "crappy", but it got me some fish the very first day. I still use that rod once in a while, by the way; it has a better reel on it and a decent line, but the rod is still in use.

Edit: I did miss the fishing hole post somehow and did not know about it. Too bad, to late