Thread: 30 cal???
View Single Post
Old 08-23-2017, 09:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD848 View Post
Kurt you know yourself better than anyone,you have your new gun and I am very sure you will do well with it and it's in very capable hands and more than capable cartridge,just cause I like my bigger cals doesn't mean I don't like what you just bought,that's a very good rifle any hunter would love,you know shot placement as good as any veteran hunter .I wish you the best of luck with it .
Thanks Ron, I can't wait to put some miles on packing that little rifle.

After packing around the model 24 all last season I realized the benefits of having such a nimble rifle. It reminded me of when I was a kid, packing around my German made crack barrel pellet gun. I could take the eye out of a rough grouse at 30yds with that thing. I was a sniper with that little gun, chickens and rabbits were no longer safe once I locked on.

When the opportunity came up to order another Nula I wanted a model 20 this time, the "Original light weight Rifle". So when it came time for cartridge selection I was restricted to a short action. First choice would have been a 284 norma, but since I already had a 280ai it seemed too much of the same thing, that's when my caliber study started.

Ballistic charts, bullet design, and real life testimonies, I read until my eyes hurt. After all things were considered I settled on a 6.5 Creedmoor. The 7-08, 260rem, 264 Norma, and 260ai were all considerations, but in the end the Creedmoor made the cut. The final deciding factor was, since I plan on shooting this rifle a lot, like having it feel like a natural appendage a lot, barrel life also played a factor. I plan on using the superior ballistic characteristics of the 6.5 caliber with the lightweight handiness of the Nula to become the ultimate ungulate slayer.