View Single Post
Old 09-13-2017, 02:10 PM

Quote:
=angery jonn;3621468]Perhaps the birds flying away are a result of people trying to aim using the beads? As you posted, many shotguns do cme with high xiz beads these days. Oddly enough, my regular hunting partner and myself miss very few birds in the course of a season, in spite of shooting the sub gauge guns. Then again, we don't aim using the beads, and we both shoot clays on a regular basis.
That's because hand fed chickens that have to be kick up aren't that fast or hard to hit...

I agree that fit is important, but to say the bead means nothing is ludicrous, why do sporting guns have raised ribs if it doesn't matter? Have you ever heard of back sighting?[/QUOTE]

Why do you suppose that even the most high dollar hunting shotguns don't have those extra high ribs? Could it have something to do with the fact that unlike trap, where you mount your gun, position it , and then call for the target, when you are hunting you don't use a premounted gun, you don't know exactly where the bird is coming from, or which direction it will fly? As to having to kick up released pheasants, if you haven't had them run , sometimes for up to 50 yards before flying, then you haven't hunted them where we do. Sometimes the dog points a bird several times before it flushes, and sometimes the bird never stops and the dog never points it before it flushes. Sns2 and densa44 see this happen quite often, just as arrowdog and myself witnessed it this morning. These are not planted birds that stay where they are put until you kick them up with your foot. We do see some that sit tight and don't want to flush, but in recent years, we have seen just as many runners. And they aren't all in the open fields either, in fact more are usually in the brush and often flush through the trees .