View Single Post
Old 11-12-2017, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lclund1946 View Post
Thanks for your input. I saw your post on a NZ site and hoped you would chime in as I have found no better information. It looks like you had a pressure spike either between 12.3 and 12.4 gr or between 12.4 and 12.5 grains. Did you try 12.4 gr? If not you may have missed the best accuracy node which may be at about 3675, which is still very good for the 17H, and may prove more stable. Let us know what you find should you decide to try this or if you already tried it and found 12.5 gr to be more accurate as it in the middle of the node.

Would also be great to know if you were using new brass or fired brass from early or new lot factory ammo that was FL or neck sized.
Iclund, I haven't bothered with testing between 12.3 and 12.5grains, I am well inside 1/2 an inch with both rifles, for five shots, and this is with all charges tried, except the max charge of 12.8.
The varmint CZ is likely shooting groups of around .3-.4, and small game here is much bigger, rabbits, hares, cat, opossums all between 5 to 15lbs. So slightly larger target,

Brass used during the intinal testing was Hornardy. With 2-4 firings, full length sized with redding dies, and Winchester small rifle primers,
I have since used, once fired formed Ppu brass, and noticed no obvious difference in accuracy,
Even the fireform Ppu brass,( I drop charge by half a grain )is well inside a one inch group,
I see no point in fiddling any further, with my .17 hornets, for any small accuracy gain, if I want more accuracy, in a varmint rifle, I will take my Sako in .17 fireball and shoot 25gr v-max or Cooper 6x45 and shoot a 65 gr v-max or 80gr Serbia, as both are much less affected by wind, have far greater legs, more energy, and far better scopes.
Great walk about gun, but if I want long distance, I take another rifle.