View Single Post
Old 02-02-2018, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
I started a thread a few weeks back about my wife's 2013 Honda CRV. All the check engine lights come on and there is a loud grinding noise upon startup, particularly when cold. After a trip to an independent to diagnose the problem, I end up at the stealership to have them fix it, as I realize there is one month and 2000 km left on powertrain warranty which I had initially thought was expired. Bonus.

They acknowledge the problem. Go into engine to replace the VTC actuator, whatever that is, and see the timing chain is stretched, which admittedly was one of the possibilities for the code it was throwing. I was warned they would try and deny it and blame on improper oil changes. Sure enough this is exactly what Honda Canada did. After the first oil change which ran me $111 at Mr Lube I started doing them myself, then later at my school which has an automotives program. I never kept any receipts. So dig into school invoice files, and credit card files. What saved my bacon was that I bought my oil at Canadian Tire using My Canadian Tire Mastercard which itemizes exactly what you buy at their store. Honda couldn't deny that I bought the right oil and filter because it was in black and white. If I bought it at any other store I would have been hooped.

Lesson learned. Keep an oil change/maintenance file with receipts or you may be screwed. I fluked out, but it would have run me well over $2 grand if I didn't produce those receipts.
Go into engine to replace the VTC actuator, thats a common problem with honda