Thread: boat tires
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2018, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishwhere View Post
If you only have a 14’ then 16s are overkill i think. They are better for sure but it depends on what kind of trips you take, and depends on the weight of your boat.

Heres where i would start;

- check the weight of your axle on the trailer plate. Then compare to the weight of your trailer, boat/motor, and any gear/fuel you have. If youre over your axle weight max load then that may be part of the problem. Ps there will be 2 numbers, axle max and trailer max. Check the axle max.

- find out what kind of tire you have right now which will give you the bolt spacing/pattern for your tire. Then you can talk to a tire place and see what type of a max size radial you can currently get on it. (Assuming your axle is good for how you travel weight with your boat)

Im no mechanical expert but i personally was over my weight, and only by about 300 pounds or so with my old set up. But i was also taking a round trip of 1800 km per year to one spot we go to. Plus all the small trips. Close to 4000-5000km per year. And even when using the better plys like the A - C class ply(dont remember which was better, but i was using the most expensive) i think it was, they were getting eaten(almost a pair a year). Like i said maybe i would have been ok if i was under my weight limits and drove at 90km/h, but it was wearing unevenly inside to outside. As well as i think the speed i was towing - around 110km/h or so.

If this is a long term trailer i would find a way to get 13-14” radials and make sure i was within my axle weight. If you dont make a lot of kms per year, or are thinking about new trailer within next 5 years then maybe not worth it. When i bought 3 16” tires, 2500 pound axle, and needed new fenders it was about 1500 bucks. I went to city spring in edmonton.

Hope my essay helped. Haha, good luck my friend.
Probably 1500 lbs loaded, think 14"s radials will work just fine, and bigger and Ill have to re-do the fenders. Go every weekend--hour each way.