View Single Post
Old 04-26-2018, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
There used to be several ski hills and jumps around flat land Alberta. Downhill skiing and ski jumping was a big thing in prairie life during the beginning of the last century.

-Camrose had a big ski jump that is in the picture I have put with this post. The picture was taken in 1912 during a tournament.

The Camrose Ski Hill was one of the first ski jumps in Canada. The jump that was in the Stony Creek valley since 1911 drew huge crowds of spectators and has produced several olympic champions over the years.
*Unfortunately, the more modern ski jump at Camrose is slated to be demolished. City council very recently decided the jump is not necessary to preserving the valley heritage. The article is from this summer if you want to read it.
http://www.camrosecanadian.com/2016/...-ski-jump-down

I know there were a few ski hills and jumps in central Alberta that are no longer. Just to name a few...

-Edmonton,had a ski jump on Connors Hill. It was taken out in 1978.
- Leduc ski hill east of Leduc in the coulee by Rollyview. Closed in the 50's or 60's.
-Thorsby had a ski hill on the North Saskatchewan river north of Thorsby. It closed in the 1960's.
-Devon had a big ski jump in the river valley. It was where the Lions park is. I think it closed in the 60's too.
-Lake Eden by Stony Plain had a ski hill. It was closed in the 1990's and vandals burnt the old chalet in 2012.
-Athabasca had a ski jump at one time too. Can only find mention of it so far.
- By Dead mans Flats at Canmore , Pigeon mountain used to have ski runs. It closed in 1968. You can still see the runs in the trees along Highway 1.

If anyone can remember or knows more about any of the old ski hills and jumps that are now closed around the province feel free to mention them. I'm sure there were many more.
Mount joy Lloydminster has a ski jump! Was big in mid 80's before Calgary

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....