View Single Post
Old 07-20-2018, 06:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastus View Post
. But there is a way to get around that, tip in cash. When the bill comes, pay with credit card or whatever, and tip in cash. The owner is force to pay the minimum wage and the waitress keeps the cash. Just my two cents!
Of course you are banking on the waitperson being dishonest and not playing by her employers rules (which could mean their job if found out). Most will play by the rules.
On the other hand...most here are correct.
Minimum wage is supposed to be just to get you into the workforce at which point you will try and better your position. It was never meant to be a living wage.
Where I work...even though by three months no one is making minimum wage the impact has been that we've hired less and expected those working to do the extra work (not necessarily a bad thing). We have people starting out with more (that they would have been making after they proved their worth anyway)...but fewer people have a job. And some of the perks we had for the last 40 years are gone.
Seems like a lose-lose situation all round as I know many in the retail end of things in Alberta have done the same as us.